Sunday, November 12, 2006

And I am Snow White.

We just had our last church service of the year-it lasted 2 and a half hours! But it was really fun; they have a time for “presentations” and so students share songs or verses, etc. The Special School sang three songs and it was so cute! And I even sang a little song on the guitar, which is something very different from what they usually have! Anyway, so this is my last week here. The students have finals on Mon. and Tues. and then we just prepare for graduation on Saturday and the pre-graduation party on Friday.
This week little cutie Susie came back, she has been sick but her mother thought she had finals so she brought her for the last week. (Imagine, a six year old having finals! Ridiculous.) Anyway, I heard she was back right before dinner so I went over to the school to see her. The students were all sitting at their round table in the classroom where they watch movies in the evening. (This is also where they eat.) I hugged that cute little thing-she is really small and has cerebral palsy, so she is all wobbly and uncoordinated and so awesome. Her head is like a bobble-head doll as she smiles up at me, one tooth missing in front. I kissed her a bunch on the cheek, and then the student next to her said “mimi” which implied she wanted a kiss too. So all of the sudden I was transformed into Snow White and all the little dwarfs waited patiently for me to come around and kiss them. They had just gotten their heads shaved, so I went around to each one and kissed their smooth brown faces and rubbed their little naked heads. It just blessed my heart. It is amazing how I can know these kids so well, and be with them everyday, and not be able to talk to them at all except for simple commands. It took me a long time, but I am so proud of myself for learning how to say and spell all their names that I am going to write them all for you. It is Susie, Elkana, Edwin, Kipbrotich, Jebotibin, Letente, Jipkosgi, Kipkule, Jepchumba, Peter, Mark, and Evans. They all are so different and have such unique, precious personalities-and they are each other’s best friends. They are leaving on Friday, and that will be the strangest thing for me to deal with I think. To know I won’t ever see them again is a strange thought.
On Monday I am leaving Ebenezer for Kijabe, which I am very excited about. I will be very sad to leave Korea and Kabarnet. Pretty much my day is 50% Korean, 45% Swahili, and 5% English. At Kijabe there are a lot of American missionaries, and most of the people will speak English because it is only 40 minutes from Nairobi. Here I am in the upcountry, so much more Swahili is spoken. So I will be sad to leave my Korean culture as well as the students here. I can only imagine what it will be like to be in a place where miscommunication isn’t an every minute occurrence!
Well, I don’t have much else interesting to say today. The days are all pretty much the same for me, not terribly exciting. I hope you all are doing well; don’t hesitate to email me! I love reading about what is happening. Blessings to you!

Things I will miss:
Blue toilet paper, and throwing it away instead of flushing it
Kimchi
Mountains
Showering with a bucket
My log-cabin bedroom
Korean soap operas
The perfect weather
Cooking everything from scratch
Singing songs with the kids every morning
Teaching piano lessons and dances
Practicing Korean
Buying peanuts for less than 3 cents in town
Buying all our fruits and vegetables for sooo cheap in the market
Listening to the students singing every morning in Swahili
Seeing the sunrise most mornings over the valley
Having chai and chapatti everyday at 10:50am
Collecting rain water from the roof to clean…so practical!
I won’t miss how slow and expensive the internet is...
These are just a few of the things here that I will miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment