Sunday, October 01, 2006

I want a Pumpkin Spice Latte!!!

So i really miss milk, cereal, and meat. i especially miss the fall! The thing i miss the most besides people of course, is Pumpkin Spice Lattes and other coffee drinks during the fall. oh what i would give for one of those! But besides that, the last few days have been some of the best since I got here, and not because of big things, but because of some of the small ways God chooses to show Himself to me. On Friday we had a physical exam day at the Special School, so each of the children gets measured and weighed. I also got to do something I am particularly fond of: nails. I got to clip their cute little nails. So I sat in a chair outside, the mountains as my backdrop, and all the kids gathered around taking turn placing their little chocolate-colored hands as I took each of their little fingers on my pale hands and clipped away. I had at least 6 hands on my lap, a couple of fingers petting at my legs and picking at my toes, while one cutie little girl named Susie pulled my hair out in front of my face and blowing it away over and over. While most of the kids poked at me, the others chased each other around the green grass and just played while they waited their turn to be measured. I am not sure why this made me so happy, but it just did. When I was done clipping I just sat around and played, always aware if their affection to me would suddenly switch to abuse, as it often done. One second I am being kissed and the next my earring is almost pulled out; usually by one 10 year old boy who is kind of the brat of the group. You love him, but I am always telling him “no” and to stop what he’s doing. He’ll be touching my hair gently, then all of the sudden get aggressive and pull it out! They are all very interested my appearance. There is one little boy named Elkana, who I have a particular fondness for, who is especially precious to be around. He was laying floppily in the grass so I just had to scoop him up and tickle him a bit to bring the life back into him. He is 8 and only weights 35 pounds!!! He as this face that when he looks up at you and smiles it is just a sunbeam. He has big eyes and a round mouth that is always open a little bit, and he just looks like a doll! I love it. Today I was talking to some girls from the secondary school about hair, and my English which they say they understand “read fast” and can I teach it to them? Haha. Anyway, I was pulling out loose hair which is constant because it so long right now, and they were asking why I was doing that and thought it was so weird. Anyway, one of the girls took a strand of it and preceded to play with it for the next 1/2 hour! I told them I am tempted to cut it all off, but they said “no! it is very smart!” (smart is what they use to say cute or nice). They all wear their hair very short, some the same as the boys, and they said that is how they all like it. On Saturday we went to a little group of stores with the special school for some sodas and mandazi (a fried bread) and I was just reminded of how kind all the people in Kabarnet are. They all light up when you say hi, and are very welcoming. Many of the children like to hug and shake hands with adults that walk by, and I have never seen one person not stop and say hello to the children. In Kenya, everyone greets with a handshake, so I am always shaking hands with people. Like, I walk into a room I would go around and shake everyone’s hand. It is just a very friendly culture. At least here, anyway. There is also no such thing as personal space. I was in a matatu again, where I laughed to myself because I was in the middle of a three person seat, and there was six of us sharing it. One person was sort of half kneeling half standing in front me. This is how it is everywhere you go. I, of course, am very awkward on the matatus because I am so tall and have a terrible time getting in and out and crawling over people. It is not graceful, to say the least. It is just the small things like that that I enjoy so much! God also showed me something so awesome, which I will write in the next blog-so please read the next one! J

No comments:

Post a Comment