Friday, February 27, 2009

the Lenten season

Lent began this past Wednesday with the symbolic adorning of ashes and traditionally, fasting. I love lent, for a lot of reasons. It is a renewal for my soul, an intentional 40 days of devotion and repentance to our Holy God. It is anticipating the ultimate victory of Christ the cross. I do go to mass on Ash Wednesday. I believe it is a beautiful beginning to this season, and the symbolism is rich in a society where old practices are often replaced with modern technology. Back in Biblical times wood fires were used for cooking and heating, and so ashes were plentiful in homes. If there was a death in the family, or other serious goings on, you wouldn't be as mindful as usual of the ashes and it could easily be on your face. It is said this is how ashes became symbolic of mourning. So there are many references in the Bible to the adorning of ashes during a period of mourning and during fasting. When the ashes are placed on your forehead during the mass, whoever is placing the says to you "Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return." It is reminder that we truly are nothing, that Christ is everything, and sacrificed everything. We can draw close to Him by repenting and sharing in the sacrifice by denying ourselves something, whether it be food or not, to become satisfied by God only and to experience a mourning time.
In my "Lenten Companion" book there are a few prayers in the beginning that are very profound to me, so I would like to share a few here over this season:

For the times that I forget that i need a Savior, and arrogantly rely on myself as if I am sufficient to myself: Lord Jesus, have mercy on me.
FOr the times that I trust my sinful attachments more than the Father's love: Lord Jesus, have mercy on me.
For the times that I allow my own reactions and opinions to supersede the truth of the Father revealed to me through Christ and his Church, Lord Jesus have mercy on me.
For the times I shun the presence of Christ, whether it be his sacramental presence or his presence through the people he puts in my life, lord Jesus, have mercy on me
For the times I blaspheme by using other human beings as thigns that I can manipulate or use for my own selfish ends, Lord Jesus have mercy on me.
For the times i abuse those things the Father has given me for the building up of his kingdom: Lord Jesus, have mercy on me.
For the times that I justify my sinfulness, Lord Jesus, have mercy on me!
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment