Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Simple as rocks



So I am pretty much signing off of my original plans for lent, like i said before, of exploring different causes I can learn and grow in each week. I am not abandoning them completely, because I think those things I had in mind are important-however as of now I find myself busier than usual and in my down time I prefer not to be researching. The vegetarian thing is enough to make me think, so I'll just think on that for awhile. Plus, another aspect of lent that I appreciate is the way it makes me slow down a bit to reflect on who I am and who God asks us to be in light of the Cross. I am not nearly devoting enough time to this and it is evident-I am feeling almost disoriented lately and I attribute that to not enough BEING. There is too much DOING and, while they are good things, I need to rest in mercy and grace God is providing. I also need to stop and listen awhile.
Part of this has to do with the fact that the majority of my time is spent in a place that isn't really me. I think the environment that you are in most really will affect you, and to me it is important that it gives you rest and peace. And while I genuinely love and enjoy going to Aveda, it is a little out of my element and not restful. I find my mind wandering to places like Covenant Pines and daydreaming the whole length of the time i spend running. I need to figure out the balance....
I spent some time with the three most precious children in my life this weekend (Lucia, Sofia, and my neicey Aleeya), which is always refreshing and rejuvenating. They bring a lot of joy to me, but also their lives exude a simplicity I learn from. Luci and I went out in the backyard to enjoy the fresh spring breeze trying to break forth and I just followed her around. She went in her swing and giggled the whole time-maybe just from the sheer pleasure of her whispy blonde hair blowing back and forth, or from her feet dangling in the air, for from the wind hit her face as she went back and forth. After swinging she found a spot filled with uniform rocks filling in the space around a garage. She squatted down and picked up and put down rocks, studying them carefully and speaking her baby language with convincing inflection in her voice. Occasionally one would be handed to me with an "ooh" sort of wonderment. The peace in those moments reminded me that life can be as simple as rocks-just enjoying something in creation, inspecting all aspects of it, and then looking again. I love what can be seen through the eyes of an 20 month old child.



Another note, congratulations to my sister and my NEW brother in-law, who got married this past Monday! Here are some pictures of the occasion:

Aleeya was happy about it too:

The fam:


No comments:

Post a Comment