Saturday, December 27, 2008

my christmas

I really love Christmas, and I am trying to internalize the impact that the birth of a SAVIOR to a 16 year girl has on this world. Every year it blows my mind. One thing that has helped to wrap my mind around it a little, is trying to understand Kings. For us in the west, we live in a democracy where we all can have a voice (for the most part). The thought of a king doesn't mean much to me, as I have never experienced one. Even talk of the queen of England means nothing to me, she seem more like a celebrity than anyone I would curtsy in front of. But at the time of Christ's birth, Kings were a big deal. Death and life where at King Herod's command. He had all the wives he wanted. Many were under his commands. Then you have Jesus, a supposed king, who is born as a weak baby-helpless-to a young girl, outside. This is the king that is supposed to come to save a whole nation of people? It sounds absurd. So I am trying to let that impact me, and what it meant to the people of that time to have their Messiah be born in such a way.

On a different note, my christmas was quite relaxing. I spent Christmas eve with extended family, watching memories of christmas '88 and '89 on DVD. My mom and I went to Midnight Mass at the Cathedral, which was spectacular. on Chrismas day it was just my immediate family, including Hannah's fiance Efra. We ate a lot of food, shared gifts, and the highlight was going ice skating! Efra has never skating before and I thought it was hilarious. You can watch the two videos for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment